Monday, June 3

Home!

It always seems like flying on an airplane will be the simplest and quickest way to get somewhere, but after adding up the hours it took to get from the hotel in Salt Lake City back - finally - to my house in Milwaukee, I realized I had been traveling for over 11 hours! Shuttling between modes of transport and waiting for departure times really adds up. Luckily, it was only one day out of two weeks of fun, excitement, curiosity, and wonder!

It's hard to sum up the myriad experiences and sights that made up this journey, and at this moment, I'm still too close to it all to even begin sifting through everything. Soon, I'll start reading back over my notes, paging through the books I bought, re-reading the map, and unwrapping various mementos of the trip.

This time, however, my primary way of creating meaning from this experience will not be an individual exploration. Rather, I'll be helping guide our group of students through their project proposals and eventual fabrication of an artwork (culminating in a public exhibition late in August). I am looking forward to seeing what our group of thoughtful artists does with all this information, and how their insights may influence mine...the next "journey" for us all will be to find a way to put experience into form.


-Shana McCaw

No comments:

Post a Comment